Download Our Latest Product Catalog
Structural Strand Wire Ropes
- Television and Radio Towers
- Bridges, Tied Arch Bridges, Cable Stayed Bridges, Vertical Lift Bridges
- Cable Roof Structures
- Cable assemblies — Spiral strand, structural wire rope
- Specialized assemblies — SS-265™
Bethlehem Structural Strand is an arrangement of wires laid helically around a center wire to produce a symmetrical cross section. Structural strand is used as a load-carrying tension member where great flexibility and bending are not major requirements. For any given diameter, wire strand is the least flexible of steel cables. Structural strand provides a high strength-to-weight ratio, a high modulus of elasticity and a small diameter-per-unit strength. These are the features that permit strand to adapt so successfully to structural applications. WW manufactures Bethlehem Structural Strand to meet ASTM Specification A586, and we have the capability to manufacture strand as large as 5-1/2"diameter. Refer to Table 1 for structural strand data.
Bethlehem Structural Wire Rope consists of six strands made from zinc-coated wire with strands laid helically around a core, such as another strand or smaller wire rope. Structural wire rope provides greater flexibility when compared with coarse strand constructions and is generally the structural cable of choice where bending ability is an important requirement, such as forming flemish eye ends (drop terminals). WW manufactures Bethlehem Structural Wire Rope to meet ASTM Specification A603, and has the capability to manufacture wire rope as large as 7"diameter. Refer to Table 2 for Bethlehem Structural Wire Rope data.
High Strength Structural Strand
Wirerope Works, Inc. offers SS-265™, a high strength structural strand designed specifically for use in tower applications. Compared with standard structural strand, SS-265 offers an increase in minimum breaking force of 15% above the values for strand manufactured to specification ASTM-A586. Using SS-265 also offers these advantages:
- Reduced Structural Strand Diameter—Now that designers can utilize a smaller diameter strand for the guying system, SS-265 offers a lower cost per foot, allowing the user to cut valuable dollars from the cost of a project.
- Smaller Fittings—Many fittings manufactured for standard strand may be used with the SS-265, thereby offering a lower cost per unit and adding further cost reductions.
- Decreased Total Weight—Because of SS-265’s reduced strand diameter, the total weight of the guys is also reduced.
For users who opt to use SS-265 without downsizing the diameter of the strand, other benefits apply. For example, using a 2-inch diameter as an example, the minimum breaking force increases from 245 tons to SS-265’s 282 tons. The higher strength results in an increased design factor of the guying system. SS-265 also may be used in other applications where structural strand manufactured to ASTM-A586 is utilized. Please contact your WW regional sales manager or customer service representative for further information.
To ensure quality of all Bethlehem Wire Rope and Strand products, WW utilizes Statistical Process Controls (SPC). In doing so, we are able to test and certify the following:
- manufacture of wire to order specification
- manufacture of rope or strand to order specification
- tensile strength
- modulus of elasticity
- actual breaking force of rope or strand
- prestretching, measuring and proofloading
In addition, WW can obtain material certification from end termination vendors. WW is certified by API and recognized by ABS, DNV and Lloyd’s of London. WW is also ISO-9001-2000 certified.
When ordering Bethlehem Structural Strand and Wire Rope Assemblies, please provide the following, as required:
- Product description
- Pin orientation
- Special features
- Length tolerances
- Galvanized coating
- Modulus of elasticity
- Length and point of measurement
- Measuring at required load
- End terminations (dimensions, pin sizes, jaw openings)
- Nondestructive test method